Apr 11, 2009

Singer Anggun is embracing after two decades in the industry is motherhood

DESPITE being the most successful Asian singer on the international scene, the most meaningful role that sultry singer Anggun is embracing after two decades in the industry is motherhood.

“It is hard to describe the feeling. I am still looking for the right emotions to describe my life as a mum,” said the singer during an interview in Kuala Lumpur recently.

Her daughter Kirana was born on Nov 8, 2007, in France.

“She is as fair as her father. I can’t pinpoint any similarity to myself,” said Anggun Cipta Sasmi, who is married to Olivier Maury, a French-Canadian.
“She is gorgeous,” added the Javanese songstress.

The singer has no qualms about waking up early in the morning to feed her child and now is used to sleepless nights.

“If she is awake, I will be awake too,” she said.

After almost 10 years away from the Malaysian scene, Anggun is keen to promote her latest album Elevation here.

“I have been all over, busy with my hectic work schedule. It has been crazy,” she said, adding that she was not aware that her previous albums Chrysalis and Luminescence were available in Malaysia.

Her 14th studio album (her fifth English one) sees a departure from her debut English album, Snow On The Sahara.

“I can’t do the same thing over again. We need to evolve to sustain ourselves in this business,” she said.

“I don’t like to lock myself to only one genre. I want freedom. I don’t want to feel the constraints. Music is either good or bad. I would go from hip hop to dangdut,” she said.

The 35-year-old opted for R&B and hip hop in her new album.

“It’s all about improvisation. There were no instruments accompanying me while I recorded the album. There were only a few computers and equipment,” she said.

“Things come naturally and collaborations just happen. If any hip hop artiste drops by the studio, and if the beat sounds right, you end up with a collaboration,” she explained. Anggun collaborated with Pras Michel from The Fugees, Laurent Wolf and Big Ali for the album.

Her first single Jadi Milikmu (Crazy) became an instant success and marks the singer’s comeback to the international scene.

Catchy with an infectious hook, the song hit a home run in Indonesia and France.

Meanwhile, Anggun’s second single for the Asian market, Berganti Hati (No Song), shows her mellow side. But she has no plans to extend her reach to the United States.

“When I first broke into the market, a lot of people told me to change. They said my lyrics were not that Americanised and I had an odd accent. They wanted me to Americanise myself,” she said, as Snow on the Sahara arguably became the first song by an Asian artiste to enter the Billboard Top 100.

She also made her debut television appearance on the Rosie O’Donnell Show. “But I won’t succumb to such requests now. I am unique and that is something to be proud of,” she said.

“There is the European market and of course the Asian market. Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams are huge even though they are not famous in the States,” she added.

“The European market is more receptive and appreciative of culture. They are curious about things that are foreign to them,” she said,

On any plans to release a Malay album, she replied: “Who wouldn’t? But I have to first ask the lawyers.

“I have signed a contract to do only English and French tracks in my albums (for international release, not including tracks for the Asian market).”

Anggun takes criticism about her nationality status with a pinch of salt.

“You can’t be geographically-static if you desire to be an international star. You have to move around and be more visible.

“That is the only way and I did it,” added Anggun.


Source: www.nst.com.my

No comments :